Thursday 31 May, 2007

Street kids!

On my way to the gym (before you say it, YES I have been going regularly, what my weight is now and what it was when I joined is beyond the point!! :-) ) I stop at this one traffic signal. And like most traffic signals, I usually find it RED. Now this one day, a kid was selling pens there. A Fancy CHINESE Pen with a torch on top. I thought that the kid could use the money, so bought one. Now the very next day, the same RED traffic signal and the same kid : “Bhaiya, pen le lo, bhaiya.” I informed him of my purchase the previous day and told him that I wouldn’t buy one everyday. Once again the very next day, the same RED traffic signal and the same kid: “Bhaiya aapne bola tha roz nahin loge, kal nahn liya, to aaj le lo.” Grinning ear-to-ear, I kept thinking of a smart reply, but eventually gave up, shelled out another 10 bucks and left with another fancy orange-coloured Chinese-made pen. The pens do work, but I am still amazed by the street-smart kid!

If ever I see a kid on the street begging for money, I preferably make him do some work: “Clean my car and you earn yourself 5 bucks.” Even if he makes it dirtier than before, it doesn’t matter. The point is that the kid learnt that money does not come for free; he needs to work for it. The law of OUR country does not permit kids under 18 to work; it’s a crime. I beg to differ! If these kids, most of whom are homeless and don’t have the money to buy, let alone education, even food or clothes, are to be on their own without the basic necessities of life, I would not be surprised to find them in jails, sooner than later. And even if we don’t employ them, who will pay for their food, clothes and of course, their education? The government surely cannot afford it. Is it not better for them to work and earn their own living, rather than turning into criminals or beggars? Is it not better than they learn the value of money the harder way rather than being pampered by somebody who’s basically and actually a nobody?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ass.. When did you start writing blogs.. ????
Had absolutely no idea abt it..
Good going. :)